The first St. Mary's church opened on this site
in March 1881 and was destroyed by the devastating cyclone of 1911. It was
replaced by a new church (pictured) that opened in August 1914.
The land was sold in the 1980s in readiness to build a new St. Mary's to be
located in Endeavour Street. In 1988 the Port Douglas Restoration Society moved
the dilapidated building to Wharf Street where it was renovated and renamed St.
Mary's by the Sea, a popular venue for weddings.
The presbytery, built elsewhere as a chapel in 1878, was moved here in 1883. The
1911 cyclone also levelled it, but a replacement (pictured) was quickly erected
using the salvaged timber. It again served as a chapel until the 1914 church was
built. In the 1930s it was sold and relocated to Owen Street at Mossman.